Marks Park Tennis Club, Johannesburg
Cyril Rudman – Chairman
Lynda Johnson – Secretary
Antony Brady – Vice-chairman
Gill Hendry – Treasurer
Pierre Le Grange
Chairman: Cyril Rudman
083 601 7355
Secretary: Lynda Johnson
083 760 4261
Court Type: Hard Courts
The Tennis Section of the Marks Park Sports Club is situated in Judith Road, Emmarentia in Johannesburg and is probably one of the oldest clubs in the city. The first mens and ladies singles championship events were contested in 1931 and the trophies are still in use today.
Over the years, with a steady and competitive membership, the club grew from strength to strength, gaining impetus when George and Cyril Rudman, respected South African players, became the club’s professional coaches in 1975. Their enthusiasm for the game and strength of play took us into, what was then Mens First League, and later became Bundes League.
During the years we have been honoured to be the home club of well-known South African tennis players such as Kevin and Barry Moir, Gordon Talbot and his son Byron, Gail Boon, Elna Reinach, Trevor Raal, Neville Godwin, Shaun and Kyle Rudman and Tarryn Rudman who represented South Africa at the Junior Wimbledon Tournament.
We have gained a well-deserved reputation as the strongest club in Gauteng, if not in South Africa. During the last decade our Mens A team has held the Bundes League title at least eight out of the ten years with the Ladies A team not far behind in its winning history. We participate competitively in a wide variety of leagues, allowing for the vast difference in the ability levels of our large and active membership. junior players are the breeding ground of the future and, as soon as children show that they are ready, they are accepted into the senior section of the club, gaining enormous experience from this exposure to the senior side of the game.
We provide social weekend tennis throughout the year when we are not committed to a league season. We also host the popular and strongly contested Marks Park Senior Open as well as the Marks Park Junior Open, both of which are sponsored by WILSON.
We are indeed fortunate to enjoy magnificent facilities which are well-maintained and regularly used by members and visitors.
What we offer:
Organised social tennis
Social tennis takes place throughout the year on Saturday afternoons commencing at 13:30 during the non-competitive championship and league seasons.
We participate in a variety of competitive internal and inter-club tournaments and leagues during the year.
• Annual Club Championships played on Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings from mid-January until mid-March.
• Junior Championships played on Sunday afternoons in February/March.
• Combined League played on Saturday afternoons in May/June.
• Under 14 Junior League played on Sunday afternoons in May/June.
• Ladies League played on Saturday afternoons in August/September.
• Mens League played on Sunday mornings in August/September.
• Mens and Ladies Bundes League played on Saturday afternoons in August/September.
• Numerous junior tournaments played on Sunday afternoons during the latter part of the year.
We host the WILSON Marks Park Open Tournament and the WILSON Marks Park Junior Tournament each year. These are ranking tournaments and are played at dates determined by Tennis South Africa.
Use of our tennis courts
• Tennis Section members have priority use of our tennis courts.
• Thereafter social members of the Marks Park Sports Club may use the courts providing that they produce their membership cards.
• Non-members may use the courts, depending on availability, providing that they pay a visitor’s fee of R40 per person, either to the staff/committee member on duty or to the Main Club office.
• The courts may be booked for floodlit tennis by contacting the Main Club (011 486 6011) and paying the necessary fees.
Tennis coaching is available for all levels of play by private arrangement with our resident coaches.
Cyril Rudman 083 601 7355
George Rudman 083 254 6611
Patrick Wysoczarski 083 704 9781
16 – 19 June
WILSON Marks Park Junior Tournament
6 – 8 August
WILSON Marks Park Open Tournament
2016 ANNUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS RESULTS
Back row: Pierre Le Grange, Paul Trumpelmann, Patrick Wysoczarski, Uys Jordaan
Front row: Alyson Rudman, Hayley Jeffery, Cyril Rudman, Lisa Wade, Kim Peters